Wisconsin Statutes Legal Custody

Wisconsin passed a new law in 2018 requiring the custodial parent to notify the non-custodial parent and the court if they plan to remove more than 100 miles from the non-custodial parent, unless the parties have already been more than 100 miles apart. If the initial custody order is before April 2018, the custodial parent only needs to notify the other party and the court. The non-custodial parent has 15 days to object, if no objection is raised within this period, the move will be granted. In the event of an appeal, a hearing will be scheduled within 30 days. Because Wisconsin is a state that uses the “child protection” standard to determine custody, it leaves custody to judges` belief systems. In today`s world, judges generally tend to believe that there are more benefits to the child when both parents are constantly involved. Below are the key factors that judges consider when supervising custody cases. Last but certainly not least, it is important to maintain consistency and stability in children`s lives. This is by far one of the most important overall factors reflected in all aspects of custody decisions. Many courts believe that it is in the best interests of the child to maintain consistency and stability. Be sure to consider how making decisions for yourself might affect how the court views that decision in the context of consistency and stability. Wisconsin Family Courts aims to create a healthy environment for the child to co-parent.

Some factors that Wisconsin courts use to determine custody of children include the following: Custody and visitation issues can be complicated and occur before, during, or after legal separation or divorce, or with unmarried parents. The following resources provide helpful guides and forms for child care and visits in Wisconsin. 2. The Department of Children and Family or the Department of Corrections or a person, the District Department under section 46.215, 46.22 or 46.23 or the Approved Child Protection Authority, in the case of the custody or supervision of the child in accordance with Chapter 48 or 938 in that Ministry, to that person or body. One of the most important laws relating to child custody is the Parental Abduction Prevention Act,[1] which was passed by Congress in 1989 to establish certain standards for the proper exercise of custody jurisdiction between states. Under this law, preference is given to the country of origin in which the child concerned has resided for the last six months. The purpose of this law is to prevent a parent from searching forum shopping, which can be done by initiating legal proceedings in another state with the intention of obtaining a favorable court decision. If you are a party who needs to apply for custody and the other party resides in another state, you must go through the provisions of the Prevention of Parental Abduction Act. Note that jurisdiction in civil matters is important. If jurisdiction is not obtained, the order or order of the court shall be deemed null and void. (c) following the issuance of a temporary or final injunction establishing joint custody and the duration of the physical placement, takes or causes to be removed from the other parent to a child in contravention of the order, or retains a child for more than 12 hours beyond the physical placement or access period approved by the court. Once paternity is established in Wisconsin, both mother and father can proceed with custody and placement.

The best thing to do is to create a realistic parenting plan that benefits the child and prosecute them. Once a court order has been issued, it is legally binding on both parties to ensure that the rights of both parties are protected. Wisconsin Law 767.82 (2m) deals with custody pending a court order. The part of the law states: “Police custody until the order of the court. If there is no presumption of paternity under section 891.41(1) or if paternity is recognized under section 767.805(1), the mother has sole custody of the child until the court decides otherwise.¬†This is usually the most important consideration. Often, the parent who stays in the family home looks after the children. This allows children to remain stable for an unstable period. For this reason, if you are having difficulty obtaining primary custody, it is imperative that you do NOT leave the family home if the situation allows.

www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0767.pdf If you have custody and housing of the children and want to leave Wisconsin or move more than 100 miles from home, you must send notice to the other parent by registered mail. Does a mother have sole custody if the parents are not married? The court`s decision will put a child`s safety and well-being above all other factors. Patterns of abuse, whether intermarital or domestic, or a serious case of violence are the main concerns in determining legal custody and periods of physical placement. In addition, the court cannot consider active military service or reserve service as a factor in determining legal custody of a child. Section 767.41(5) of the Wisconsin Act lists the factors the court considers in determining custody, including the wishes of the child. Joint custody means that both parents share custody. Sole custody means that one of the parents has custody. The judge looks at each child`s historical parental relationship with each parent. Judges look at this historical relationship because the parents seek primary custody to gain a victory over the other parent or avoid paying child support. (1) (a) In this paragraph, “legal guardian of a child” means: I wish to move the order of the child support, custody, or placement court from one county in Wisconsin to another.

How do I proceed? Family allowances are granted whether or not both parents share custody or placement. Calculate child support here. Whether you are married or not, custody laws in Wisconsin are the same and both mother and father are entitled to parental rights if paternity has been established, unless ordered by the court. “A minor child does not have the right to decide which parent he or she will live with. The wishes of the child are only one factor among many that the court must take into account when deciding on placement and are not determinative. Other laws, regulations and opinions may apply to your particular situation. Search for Wisconsin`s regulations and administrative code online. The custodial parent does not need to give notice if custody rights for paternity matters are not established or if the other parent has been deprived of their legal rights and there is no visitation/parenting time for the non-custodial parent, the custodial parent does not need to provide this notice of intention to move. (b) after service of the proceedings in a family document but before an interim or final custody order is issued, the child takes or causes to be left of the child with the intention of depriving the other parent of physical custody within the meaning of section 822.02 (14). The courts always assume that joint custody is in the best interests of the child. The term custody refers to legal decision-making capacity, Wisconsin regulations explicitly state that there is an assumption that custody should be joint unless there are extenuating circumstances that warrant another agreement. It is difficult to convince a court not to grant joint custody.

Placement refers to the physical placement of the child. Again, the courts assume that it is in the best interests of the child to have the greatest possible access to each parent, but issues such as school and work hours affect how placement is implemented. Wisconsin regulations explicitly state that court officials cannot consider gender when evaluating potential custodians. 1. A parent or other person who has custody of the child pursuant to an order or judgment in proceedings for divorce, legal separation, annulment of the child, custody, paternity, guardianship or habeas corpus. (2) Every person who abandons a child, abducts a child or retains the child for more than 12 hours to the child`s parents or, in the case of a child born out of wedlock whose parents do not subsequently marry under section 767.803, to the child`s mother or, if custody has been transferred to her, the father of the child, without the consent of the parents or custodial parent, is guilty of a Class I crime. This subsection does not apply if custody has been granted to the person taking or custody of the child by court order. Since judges generally believe that it is in the best interests of the child that both parents participate in the children`s lives, your case of cooperation with the other parent will be considered.